Number of Openings
Optimal Defense Solutions is seeking an Office Assistant to provide clerical support services for the Oahu District, Highways Division, Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Creates, edits. prints, stores. retrieves and deletes documents us ng a computer and word processing and other software, in draft or final form, from rough or corrected copy where format and arrangement are not clearly indicated.
- Prepares, reviews and processes forms, records, reports, applications and other documents for accuracy, completion and conformance to established requirements.
- Checks records and forms such as applications, permits, requisitions, vouchers and other materials for completeness and accuracy evaluates the information contained therein for conformance with established requirements; and processes documents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Searches through a variety of paper and electronic files and records, extracts, compiles and summarizes information and prepares periodic and special reports.
- Composes routine correspondence and letters of acknowledgement.
- Sets up and maintains paper and electron c files and revises filing systems as necessary.
- Provides general information and resolves complaints in person or over the telephone involving explanation of rules, regulations, policies and procedures and knowledge of the organization's purpose and functions.
- Determines the need for and/or makes routine orders for necessary supplies, materials or other items.
- Makes arrangements for travel, equipment maintenance, telephone service, and other similar matters.
Services provided and duties performed will consist of but are not limited to:
- Sorting, filing, retrieving, duplicating, mailing, posting and processing paper and electronic data and records;
- Counting, tallying , compiling , verifying and/or correcting information,
- Providing information and assistance to others about services available and/or applicable policies and procedures;
- Assisting customers with access to services,
- Screening calls and visitors;
- Scheduling meetings; ordering and maintaining office supplies and equipment;
- Preparing a variety of documents using word processing, spreadsheet and other office equipment and technologies;
- Performing other clerical activities in support of the day-to-day operations of a work unit.
- Education: Shall have at minimum a high school diploma or equivalent; TWO (2) years of college preferred.
- Experience: Must have prior knowledge of and experience with operating and maintaining common office appliances and equipment; ONE (1) year of work experience involving customer service required.
- Background in administrative support, clerical, front desk operations, general office duties or equivalent preferred
- Shall possess the ability to compose routine correspondence and other similar material.
- Must have demonstrated ability to adhere to professional standards, ethical behavior, and professional business attitude.
- Must be able to understand, interpret and apply pertinent policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail and good writing skills to respond to email inquiries as designated.
- Must exhibit a pleasant and friendly approach and have excellent verbal communication skills to service customers.
- Must be able to read and comprehend oral and written instructions.
- Must have the ability to compare words and numbers quickly and accurately.
- Must be able to perform arithmetic computations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Service orientation
- Critical thinking
- Active listening
- Efficient and accurate
- Customer Focus
- Customer Service
- Data Entry Skills
- Phone Skills
- Building Relationships
- People Skills
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Problem Solving
- Correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, word usage and arithmetic
- Keyboarding/Computer Skill Requirement: Must be able to type 40 net words per minute.
Place of Performance:
- Location: The Oahu District, Highways Division, Department of Transportation (DOT), located at 727 Kakoi Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
Candidate must consent to a back screening prior to commencing work:
- Third-party employment verification – last two (2) employers
- Background check – no conviction of a violation of any law